We were expecting a big rain last night (which we got, thank goodness, since we're still ridiculously low on rain here) so I made some preparations yesterday to protect the grass seed I put out. I put down some organic lawn food (stinky but effective and most importantly, not toxic to anyone!) and then spread straw to keep the seed and soil from washing. Last night it came a gully washer, as they say here, but thankfully the seed stayed put! Yay!
Today Robbie continued working on repairing the brick on the side of the garage, but it requires him to pour concrete and wait, so it's one of those hurry up and wait projects.
We also began building our raised garden bed in the little strip between our house and our neighbors, where we get some pretty good sun. With Riley's 'help' (um, yeah, right) I got the site laid out this afternoon while Robbie went to get materials. We decided to go for a bed that's 4' by 12', which we're hoping will give us enough room to grow a variety of stuff.
I wanted to square the bed up and started out enlisting the help of my old pal Pythagoras, a friend from my picture framing and carpentry days, but alas I had the help of a three year old and keeping one string still was hard enough, much less two. I finally resorted to using a carpenter's square and it turned out just fine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment