Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Oh. Well, then.

Wow, the things that go on under the radar can really be surprising.

We've been cleaning out the side yard near the garage with the eventual plan of putting in another gate from the front to the back. This evening I was trimming back the GIGANTIC mass of honeysuckle that had grown over from an adjacent yard and generally cleaning up the area when Robbie got home and noticed something in the flower bed near where I was working. It's near the wood shop and last year we'd put down some wood shavings from the planer as mulch. While looking at our climbing rose Robbie disturbed the wood shavings and saw that it was infested with a colony of termites. Argh!

We scooped out all the shavings and the soil below it and put it all in a plastic garbage bag, but when Robbie moved the landscape timbers which edged the bed we saw that they were also totally infested. Argh!! So those came out and went directly to the curb. Then as we began digging out more soil to make sure we'd gotten all the little vermin we discovered that some of the bricks were loose on the wall next to the soil so we investigated further. As it turns out, a crack in the wall that we were aware of is more pronounced than we'd known. Robbie pulled out some of the bricks to see whether he could spot any signs of termites having ventured in but saw nothing, thank goodness. We'll need to do some masonry work, but if that's the worst of it we're grateful.

Dad tries to see what in the world is causing the building to settle.
Riley eats blueberries with gusto.



Um, there's a hole in the house. And the child eats more blueberries.


We were laughing tonight that when I took down some of the tremendous overgrowth of honeysuckle that had come across from our neighbors house I felt a little uncomfortable at how changed it must appear on their side of the fence. I said that if it ever came up I'd just mention our plans to put in a gate 'soon' and that I was preparing for the upcoming project. Well, the joke's on us, apparently, because we get to do it right now! :-)

No comments: