Monday, March 9, 2009

Spring, just like that!


Spring in the south always takes me by surprise, despite the fact that I've lived in this region for 16 years. (which in itself is a surprise) This year it has come on especially dramatically, given that we had four inches of snow last weekend and within days it was in the mid 70's, but so it is here. Riley and I were out back putting down mulch today (that is, I was putting down mulch, he was cavorting as only a four year old boy can) and I noticed that our dogwoods are blooming! Just like that! 

Our seedlings are doing really well, though they're lanky and would clearly prefer real sun to the florescent grow light, despite the fact that it is a mere fraction of a inch above the leaves. I brought them out to receive some diffused light both yesterday and today, but today one of the broccoli plants suffered a pretty significant injury today at Riley's hand. I didn't see it happen, but heard him say that he'd given the plants 'a little drink' and when I came to check things out the plant's stem was broken. I guess it's all part of the learning curve for all of us. 


No comments: