You'd think it was a bit late for this, but apparently the tomatoes and peppers we planted are the 'Late' variety, because only now, right before the cooler weather really sets in, the plants are totally blasting off with their production. There are dozens of tomatoes and countless peppers all coming on. The issue I'm having is a quintessential one, I guess, but I'm finding myself wondering what in the world to do with all these peppers.
The tomatoes are a cinch--make a sauce and can it up--but the peppers are a different question. One plant is poblano, so I guess we could use those and some of the tomatoes to make a mildish salsa, but we haven't decided what to do with the sweet red peppers yet. I thought they were hot at first, but I must have grabbed a red poblano by mistake. I was thinking about making a tomato/sweet pepper sauce to can up but haven't looked for a recipe yet. Anyone have any ideas or recipes using sweet red peppers?

Aren't they pretty? :-)
And don't laugh at our ugly heirloom tomato. They look pitiful but taste fabulous!
.jpg)
2 comments:
You could try roasting them. My sister-in-law gave me a great cookbook: Nigella Express, by Nigella Lawson. It's got an easy roasted red pepper dip in it that's good with pita, crostini, veggies and such, or as a sauce for plain grilled meats. It calls for a jar of roasted red peppers, but I don't see why you couldn't make your own:
1 14-oz can chickpeas
1 12-oz jar roasted red peppers
2 tablespoons cream cheese
2 tablespoons garlic-infused oil (or just use regular olive oil and add crushed garlic -- that's what we did)
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 teaspoon paprika
salt
Drain the chickpeas and peppers and put them into a food processor or blender. Add the cream cheese, oil, lime juice, and paprika. Whiz to a hummus-like puree, and then add salt and perhaps more lime juice according to taste. Makes 2 cups.
Happy eating!
Thanks, Meg--that looks like something the whole family will love! :-)
Post a Comment