Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Orville--A Dog Story

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a big blubbering sap. It's just how I am, and when I get moved by things and start tearing up there's nothing to do but just grab a tissue and ride it out. 

I mention this because I checked out a book from the library that totally did me in. Given our current interest in dogs, we checked out a variety of books about dogs for kids and adults. One in particular, Orville--A Dog Story, I sought out after reading about it yesterday. It's written by an author named Haven Kimmel, who I admire greatly (she's as smart as they come and makes me laugh out loud) and who has a deep and abiding love for dogs. This book is shelved in the children's section and is supposedly for kids, but it's so devastatingly moving that I think it'd break a little kids heart. It nearly broke mine, though everything turns out in the end. Find the book and read it--it's fabulous. 

I cannot bear suffering of any innocent creature, and this book speaks eloquently of the deep suffering that homeless dogs endure and how desperately they crave love and compassion. I'm going to start crying again just thinking of it, but then, what's new? ;-) 

No comments: