Riley's been out of diapers during the day for some time now, but we'd been putting him in a pull-up at night since there were still times when he'd need it. Just within the last several weeks though something has shifted, because he's been dry every morning and once he's been up for a minute or so he'll go use the bathroom.
Three nights ago when I was getting him ready for bed I grabbed a pull-up as usual, but when I held it out for him to step into he said "No, I'd like to wear 'out-and-abouts' instead". (Which are the waterproof Imse Vimse training pants we used to put on him when we went out and about) I told him that it would mean that he'd need to go pee before we got his jammies on and he'd need to get up in the middle of the night if he had to go to the bathroom. He said that's fine, so we put on the training pants. In the morning he was dry and when he was ready he went to the bathroom.
Last night I reached for a pull-up but again he said he'd like to wear out-and-abouts instead, so we tried it again and again he did just fine. Unless something happens to cause a big change, it appears that we're done with pull-ups.
The whole potty training thing has been surprising to us, since we ultimately found that the more we involved ourselves in the process the less progress he made. When we began I kept him in a diaper or pull-up during the day and commenced to ask him to go to the bathroom when I thought it was time. Silly me. Ask a two year old to do something that they have control over and guess what their reply will be? No! Seeing that it could easily become a no-win power struggle, I talked to friends whose children had moved into underpants already. (All of them girls, by the way. An interesting difference in gender.)
I finally took heed when a friend told me to just put a potty right where he spends his time, put underpants on the child and let him figure it out himself. With nothing to loose I decided to give it a try. Sure, there were times when I'd have to grab a towel and we'd clean up (involving him in that was helpful to both of us) but suddenly he made a big leap in understanding and control. And by the way, he didn't soil any furniture or rugs. (actually there was one time when it surprised him as he was on the rug, but he stopped when he saw what was happening) That was what had held me up, but just as my friend said would happen, he didn't do it.
We totally avoided bribing, guilt and shame to get him to use the toilet, since we don't believe those things are good for any relationship, but in the end, once he showed us that we needed to let him do it his way, he was done! Clever lad that he is! :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment