Wednesday, May 21, 2008

An Oldie but a Goodie

Our cat Atticus turned 12 years old this April, and for those of you who adhere to the adage that 1 cat year equals 7 people years, that makes him the equivalent of 84 years old. We'd become worried about his health recently as he had been loosing weight and spitting up a good bit. We treated him with hair ball medicine and he seemed to respond very well, but we thought it'd be a good idea to get him checked out regardless. He absolutely freaks out riding in a car and despises the smells and sounds of the vets office and I was loath to go that route, so I called a mobile vet to come to our house. The vet arrived in an RV which she'd had custom built into a fully equipped vet's office and all we had to do was carry Atticus out! Within an hour Atticus was his normal self trotting about the house and she had the results of his exam and blood work. Happily we discovered that our old pal is, in fact, in fine health. We only need to continue to treat him with his medicine and watch for any changes. No kidney issues or any of the other things that plague old kitties. Whew! Knowing how quickly his sister's health failed we were quite concerned, but he's quite well! :-)

In completely unrelated news, last night Riley had a bad dream and woke up at 12:30 asking for me to cuddle with him. I got into his bed and was adjusting the blanket when I felt something move against my leg. YIKES!!! Picture me levitating out of the bed and across the room in a fraction of a second! I had the light on and the blanket flung onto the floor the next moment and was moving the pillows and stuffed animals around on Riley's bed looking for whatever I had felt. My heart was thudding in my chest and I was convinced that a mouse was in the bed, though we all know that Atticus would clue us in to the possibility of any rodent. Riley, thank heavens, only thought it was very funny that I'd flown across the room and was flinging everything this way and that.

Of course there was no mouse, but what it was I could not for the life of me figure out, and I stood there in the midst of the blankets and toys for a long minute before I spied the orange nerf ball that Riley had stuck in his shirt last night. I'd forgotten that he'd brought it to bed and there it had been under the blanket. When I pulled the blanket it rolled the ball and in my sleepiness I mistook it for a creature! It really freaked me out. :-/

No comments: