Monday, August 18, 2008

Bracing for the big ones

We don't eat a whole lot of meat, but occasionally we'll get some organically raised chicken for a little variety. 99.9% of the time I get groceries Riley is with me, so I knew at some point I'd end up fielding questions about the meat department, and yesterday it began.

We were before the refrigerator case and Riley and I were peering in (myself reeling with sticker shock and considering other options) when he said "Is that chicken?". I told him yes, hoping that'd be the end of it, but knowing, by watching his expression, that the wheels were turning and he had more to say. He said "Is that the chicken's blood?" and wincing, I told him that yes, that's the blood. He said "How do they get it out?". I cringed inside, considering the prospect of explaining that the chicken is, in fact, killed for it's muscle and there just happens to be some blood left over. Mercifully I found that I didn't need to go there as he seemed to extrapolate for himself and began discussing hunting, which he's seen on Mickey Mouse.

There's really nothing like explaining things to a small child to bring them into sharp clarity. It makes it hard to stay in denial about the 'production' of meat, that's for sure. :-/ I know this isn't the first we'll hear from him on the subject, so I'm trying to prepare myself in advance. I'd like to answer his questions, but I'm striving to strike a balance between glossing it over and going into too much detail while he's so young.

No comments: