Wednesday, August 6, 2008

No shortage of things to do.

I did some searching for sewing books the other day and found that many of the ones that I found most interesting are held by our county library system, so I placed requests for a handful of them to be sent to our local branch for me to pick up. Can there be a more luxurious service than that? I request the books from all over the metro region and they are delivered to my local branch's circulation desk, where I appear at my leisure, hold open my bag and drop them in! Wow.

One book in particular, called Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Sewing Projects, is really great! I especially love the fact that it includes patterns and I intend to make some of the nifty projects for our house to see how they turn out. If I like them I'm going to make them as gifts.

I'm certain I've sent the link for my favorite fabric source to most of my friends and family who sew, but for those of you who have yet to see it, Reprodepot Fabrics is the BEST source for fabric EVER in all the land! Love, love, love every single thing there! Did I mention that I love Reprodepot? I do. ;-)

In other news, I got a good banjo instruction book yesterday and have learned more from it in the last day than I did in two weeks with the other book I was using. One thing that surprised me was that I realized that I had been trying to play the banjo like a guitar; I was focusing on chords and wondering how to integrate them into the old-time songs and tunes I knew. It wasn't working and I didn't know why. I've come to understand that old-time banjo is primarily used to play a melody and the other strings serve as tone and percussion accompaniment rather than as full chords. Once I discovered that, the instrument began to make a whole lot more sense to me.

At least when I have interesting creative projects at hand it's less dull to tend to the sisyphean minutia of running a house. ;-)

No comments: