Monday, August 4, 2008

Time to think and do

We've been marveling recently how it's become possible, for brief periods of time, to do some of the creative things that were a large part of our lives prior to Riley. When this precious person arrived there were many adjustments to make, but one of the biggest was setting aside the things that had previously occupied our free time, such as playing music and making things.

I know some parents think nothing of setting the child aside in order to pursue their own interests, but knowing that a persons emotional security depends on loving, responsive parenting in the first years of his life, we didn't consider that a reasonable option. So we sucked it up like grown-ups and waited, trying now and then to play guitar, work in the wood shop, pull out the sewing supplies etc. Most early tries ended up in a tug-of-war with small hands and a hasty retreat to a baby-proofed area, but 3.5 years in, we're finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. For whole minutes at a time we can focus and have a continuous train of thought before being interrupted! It's remarkable. ;-)

We're enrolling Riley in our local Waldorf school's early childhood program this fall and we believe he'll really enjoy being there, but I think I'll enjoy it a lot too. However much I love, love, love the company of our boy, I am very ready to have a little time for myself. With very few opportunities to think or do anything that isn't related to caring for a very small person, I sometimes reach my saturation point and long for the chance to play an instrument or do a project sans 'help'. Having several hours in a row a couple of times a week will be a welcome change.

No comments: